University of Pennsylvania Health System

Penn Gastroenterology Q&As

Monday, December 24, 2012

Can chest pain be related to problems with the GI tract?

Question: I've recently been experiencing a quick two second pain on the left side of my chest that pulsates up through the left side of my neck. This is immediately followed by almost non-stop belching. I was so scared this was heart related that I went to the ER. After an EKG, chest x ray, and blood work, they said my heart was fine and that it could be something with my GI tract. I have notice lately that after eating, I get bloated fast and burp up acid.

Answer: It would be best to get a barium swallow of the esophagus, and then seek further consultation with upper endoscopy and perhaps, other measures, as needed. It is best to see an internist or gastroenterologist to thoroughly evaluate these concerns and recommend a course of treatment. To schedule a consultation with a Penn physician, please call 800-789-PENN (7366) or request an appointment online


No comments:

Post a Comment