Penn Gastroenterology FAQs

We are happy to announce the launch of our new Penn Medicine website.

Please stay connected to our Gastroenterology News blog by visiting us there.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Need A Diagnosis For Nausea Attacks.

I have been sick for a few months. It started with pain in the upper right stomach that wraps to the side and back around. I had a scan which ruled out gallbladder problems. I am getting weaker and feel nauseous. I get bloated with little food. When I am having an attack, pressing the area makes me feel like I will throw up. These symptoms become worse after eating, but attacks can come even when I haven't eaten. I do not eat fatty food. I feel like I am running with a low grade infection. All forms of hepatitis and H. pylori have been rule out. What is it?

Your symptoms could indicate a wide variety of gastrointestinal issues. I recommend that you consult a physician to help form a diagnosis of your condition. Knowing the answers to the following questions will help your physician form an accurate diagnosis:
  • When do you have pain?
  • Exactly where is the pain is located?
  • What type of pain (such as aching, stabbing, throbbing or cramping)?
  • How long does the pain lasts?
  • What triggers the pain?
  • What helps relieve the pain?
  • How does the pain impact your life (such as limiting activities or missing work)?
David Ingis, MD, would be happy to consult about your condition and the proper steps to take in the future. To make an appointment, please call 800-789-PENN (7366) or request an appointment online.